Saturday, December 28, 2019

Snippet Saturday: Pancakes and Jealousy an excerpt from Wraith






Bastian washed down his bite of blueberry pancake with a large gulp from his coffee cup, looking across the table at me. “You don’t remember anything before that night?”
“I get flashes here and there. Mom and me in the car. Her with an envelope full of money she was saving for a rainy day, or so she said. I remember a huge teddy bear, but it didn’t make it to the group home with me. I don’t know what happened to it.” I shrugged and looked down at my plate, pushing the scrambled eggs with my fork. They were dry and unappetizing.
I saw him fiddling with and twisting his fingers, and I could almost feel the unspoken questions weighing in my mind. I waited for him to speak, but it was as if he was restricted on what he could say.
“Is there something in particular I’m supposed to remember? I mean, a little help wouldn’t hurt. Especially if you want me to remember as badly as it seems you do.” I looked back to his conflicted face.
“I’m not supposed to say anything. You seeing me was, I don’t know, supposed to jog your memory or something. Which doesn’t exactly appear to be working, but like I told dad, I was twelve and an undersized, scrawny twig the last time you saw me. Now I’m thirty-four. Yeah, sure, I look twenty-two, but it’s still a big difference.” He shook his head. “Even if you could remember, you probably wouldn’t have realized I was the same person.”
It clicked why he ignored my earlier question of why he didn’t take me in when I was orphaned. He was only a kid, too. I wracked my brain, begging it to give me something from my past. It gave me nothing.
Through the bond, I felt Marshall nearing. I’d lost track at how close he got while Bastian and I ate. I could feel his eyes boring into the back of my head. A mass of panic flowed through me, and the wall dropped, making me aware of the flood of jealousy coming off of him in waves.
“Hey, Coral Ann, you okay?” Bastian shook my arm. “Hey?”
I focused on the jealousy, letting it push the panic away. Good, let him be jealous. It’s not like he has a good reason to be, I thought.
“Who’s jealous?” Bastian asked.
“Really, that shit’s annoying. Get out of my head,” I said, having enough frame of mind to keep my voice low and level.
“You project. That’s not my fault. I can’t control what I hear from you. I can only control what you hear from me. Now, who’s jealous? ‘Cause it’s not me.” He noticed me looking at his hand on my arm, and he pulled it away.
“Marshall’s jealous. And he’s here,” I said, turning around and meeting the gaze of the man I hadn’t seen in nearly a year.


*Subject to further editing. This isn't a final draft.


No comments:

Post a Comment