Saturday, March 14, 2020

Snippet Saturday: 'Special Birthday Gift' an excerpt from Wraith




* * *

I look up from the coloring book I’d gotten for my birthday as Momma walks in the room. I smile at her.

“Do you like your birthday gift, Coral?” she asks.

“Yes, Momma. Thank you,” I tell her, and then point at what I’d been scribbling. “Look! Purple clouds and gold lightning, like Bashy’s eyes.”

I look back at the page, frowning. My bottom lip pushed out.

“It’s so beautiful, baby! Why the sad face?” She places her forefinger and thumb under my chin, bringing my head up so she can see my face.

“I thought he was going to be here today. He promised to be here for my birthday, Momma,” I say with a sniffle.

“Aw, it’ll be okay, sweetie! Maybe you should go to the living room. I’ll get you a piece of cake and a scoop of ice cream, what do you say?” She smiles and kisses my forehead.

“I guess. Is it chocolate ice cream?” I ask.

“Of course, silly. That’s my favorite too,” she says with a laugh.

I get up and run down the hall to the living room. Turning the corner, I spot purple and green balloons, and then I see him and his father.

“SURPRISE!” they both shout.

I giggle and run across the room to hug the boy standing there. He bends down and lifts me up. His light blond, shaggy hair tickles my nose, and I push it away.

“Bashy!” I screech.

“Hey, birthday girl! How old are you today? Three? Five?” he asks, playing around.

“You know I’m four.” I hug him tighter. “It’s late. I was thinking you wasn’t gonna make it.”

“I wouldn’t miss your birthday for the world, little Coral Ann.” He kisses my cheek before setting me down on the couch. “Now, I’ve got something for you, but you've got to come to my birthday party next week. Okay?”

“Oh, your birthday’s next week? I will ab-sap-o-lut-y be there.” I turn to see Momma. “Won’t I, Momma?”

“Absolutely, sweetie,” she says and laughs.

“Bashy, how old are you gonna be?” I ask.

“Twelve. That’s eight years more than you.” He smiles.

“How many’s that?” I start putting up fingers as I count. “One, two, three—”

“It’s three of you, kid. Now, do you want what Bastian brought you or you planning on spending the day counting?”

“Xander,” Momma says.

“Dad, be nice,” Bashy says at the same time.

“Sorry,” Xander says and walks toward Momma.

Bashy turns and goes to the door to grab a bag sitting next to it. I can see a rounded fluffy brown ear sticking out the top, but Xander’s whispers behind me grab my attention.

“I don’t like it. He’s getting close. You should’ve left by now,” he says to Momma.

“Two weeks. I promise. Let them enjoy their birthdays before we go uprooting them again. Coral’s finally starting to act like a normal kid . . .”

“Hey, earth to Coral Ann.”

I look back at Bashy. He’s snapping his fingers in my face, and he smiles when he knows he’s gotten my attention.

“Sorry. Bashy, are we leaving again?” I ask.

“Hey, don’t worry about that. Here, check this out,” he says and pulls a humongous teddy bear, nearly as big as I am, from the bag he’d brought over.

“It’s so big!” I squeal, grabbing it and squeezing it.

It’s soft and gives slightly as I hug it.

“So, I take you like it?” he asks.

“It’s my new favoritest thing in the whole world! Thank you, Bashy!” I say.

“Wait, I thought I was your favoritest thing?” he pouts at me.

“You’re my favoritest person, silly!” I giggle. “You’re my best friend.”

He sits down next to me and squeezes me and my new bear to his side. “Coral Ann, I want you to remember, I’ll always protect you. No matter what.”

Without much thought, I say, “I know,” and smile, snuggling into his side.

* * *

2 comments: