Saturday, August 10, 2019

Snippet Saturday: Sharing is Caring or something like that



A Halfborn excerpt


Three embarrassingly, awkward days passed after the dream. Marshall had been moody when I asked his preference on a meal for the night. Something I hadn't done before, but I thought it might lighten his exasperation. I registered his surprise. I waited as he thought for several minutes. Finally, he smiled.

“I want to share. Is that okay?” He looked at his feet, then he glanced up through his lashes, moving only his eyes.

“If that's what you want,” I said, suspiciously. I couldn't get a sense on what he was feeling. I wondered if he was successfully blocking me through the bond we shared.

“I want it to be a man. A big man. The biggest guy you can find,” he added.

I nodded. “Okay.” I pushed mentally at the barrier he placed between us. It didn't budge.

I’d gotten the feeling he'd had the plan awhile as he went over how he'd wanted everything done. He wanted me to bring the guy to a blanket that would be spread out on the ground behind the Winnebago. As we were getting comfortable, I was to say, “Did you hear that?” and hand the man a flashlight. Marshall wanted me to play the scared bimbo and hang on the guy's shoulder as he checked to see if he could find what made the noise. I'd decided Marshall had watched too many B-horror movies. The phrase that gave the go-ahead was, “There! Right over there. I saw something.”

As corny as it sounded, it actually worked. The guy, someone I'd found outside a dumpy little bar, had no clue he was being set-up, and the look on his face, when he finally realized, was priceless. The kill was a little odd, though. As I took one side of the man's neck from my perch behind him, Marshall took the other side of the guy's neck from the front. The man was sandwiched between us, and mine and Marshall's lips were mere inches apart from each other's. It was strange and exciting, in a way. I was sure it had been the plan from the get-go. Marshall wanted the closeness. Once I realized that, I couldn't take it, and I pulled away. I let Marshall finish the guy off.

The barriers that he’d had in place all that day came crashing down. I let all the feelings he had envelop me. It was the least I could do; he was hurting so bad. I gave him his time to show me what he'd been going through . . . but it wasn't everything he should’ve been going through. I had the fleeting thought that he still hadn't dealt with what he'd done to his parents, and that he'd never really grieved for himself and what I'd done to him. With that thought, I pushed down on his emotions. I didn't block them, I just put them in the background of my mind.




Code word: Damien
   *Don't know what the code's for? Check out Writer Wednesday: Week Nineteen to find answers.
CONTEST CANCELLED DUE TO LACK OF INTEREST!

No comments:

Post a Comment